Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcoming P2 Andalusia with a splash!

When I was invited to be part of the Decoration Committee 2010, I was not confident of whether I could contribute anything particularly meaningful. Yes, I love Art, still, the confidence wasn't there. Alhamdulillah my partner was Zainab, for she brought into our discussions exuberance, curiosity and creativity which I found admirable. Our class theme was 'Sea'. You should have seen us at Mustafa Centre! We were all giggly and super-excited at the toys section! We wanted to have 'bubbles' hanging from the lamps. We found Christmas hangings - you know, the metallic little balls - of which the colours blue and silver were just right. However, we were afraid that the class would turn 'Christmassy', so we settled for soft, plastic balls instead. Cloth for the background of the noticeboards came from Spotlight, where I shopped alone and happily. I found a carpark lot just as I came up the 2nd level of Plaza Singapura. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this car from the 3rd level seemingly in a hurry to go down. As I complete the parking, I saw the driver from the car passed me by, giving me killer looks. He had wanted to park there! Well, sorry if I did not read the 'body message' of your car properly! Sheesh....

Thursday came and it was 'do or die' for all of us in the Committee, for we have only got that day and Saturday left to decorate, before Monday the 4th comes by. I could not come back to Singapore that Saturday, so panic overcame me as I realised we had no student helpers. I tried to contact a few students, but without success. Not their fault, really. Help came in the form of a face that peered into the staffroom at about noon, looking for Alwiya. Irshad! He was sweet enough to promise helping us and I breathed once again. Abu was also there, so we have two strong pair of hands to help with the hanging . Oh! When I first saw Abu that day, I though he was some Bangladeshi worker who lost his way in Irsyad...really! :)

It was difficult at first, trying to put up the cloth but Zainab and myself finally got the rhythm and Ustazah Mazaniah was an expert at sewing the yellow-blue-green plastic balls together with just nylon - the kind you use for fishing rods. She was indispensable - without her, I wouldn't know how to put the 'bubble' idea into reality. The camaderie felt when other Committee members chipped in, either with ideas or sharing of resources was something I have not felt for a long time. :)

May the P2 Andalusians feel really welcomed for the year 2010 back in Irsyad!

No comments:

Post a Comment