Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The nationality of 'tudungs'

Just before the holidays, a colleague caught me off-guard when she remarked:
'Tudung ni macam tudung orang Malaysia!'
(This tudung is like those worn by Malaysians!)
She then went on and on comparing Malaysian tudungs with Singaporean tudungs, with things like Singaporeans like the embroidery on their tudungs to be understated, matching the colour of the tudung, whereas Malaysians preferred loud, bold embroidery on their tudungs.
It was the confidence in her voice, and was it a sort of 'disdain' when she said 'Malaysian' that made the colours go up to my cheeks?
Honestly, I was stumped. Flabbergasted. Gulped - any word that is equivalent to 'shocked' would fit in.
And I don't know why - I felt embarrassed.
Smiling, I managed a lame - 'Yelah..suamipun memang orang Malaysia...'
On retrospect - Why was I embarrased?
Did I feel insulted? Hmm...yes, in a way.
Question is - why should I feel this way? Is there a ranking of style in terms of nationality, and that one nationality is more 'superior' than the other?
I then remembered my students who would confidently describe how they can even recognise students from different madrasahs from the way they wore their tudungs!
They even swore they can differentiate between a Singaporean and Malaysian by the way the ladies wore their tudungs.
Again, its not this skill in differentiating that disturbed me - its the tone that goes with this comparison.
We are in danger of becoming egocentric.
Its okay to appreciate differences and embrace that as part of Allah's creations - for did He not say that He created people of different nations so that we can get to know one another?
Its not okay if this comparison brings on a feeling of superiority over the other. :)
Hassan Al Bana once said that nationalism - the feeling of love and pride for one's birthplace is encouraged - it is a most ingrained, natural feeling that one have and need not be suppressed. He cited examples of how Prophet Muhammad s.a.w and his companions pined to go back to Mecca when they were in Madinah, although in Madinah, they were treated very well. Bilal would shed tears, reciting poems of yearning for Mecca.
However, to him, there is no nationality in Islam - for Islam knows no territorial boundaries. All Muslims are brothers to one another, right?
Nationalism and nationality.
Food for thought.
As for me, if asked, my answer remains the same - "I am a blue-blooded Singaporean!"

No comments:

Post a Comment