Friday, November 6, 2009

The folly of 'ber-inai'

Many lessons learnt from this 'rash passion' of behaviour:

1. Think, think and keep thinking FIRST before doing anything - if a word once spoken and an arrow once drawn cannot be retrieved, alas, putting on henna has pretty much the same effect. Like a tattoo, it stays there on the skin, but thankfully, unlike a tattoo, it will fade with time. WITH TIME. :(
Timing is everything. I love the henna, but I mistimed the action - I thought since there would be no more teaching then it is 'safe' to put it on and pass off 'innocently undetected' for the next, at most, two more weeks of term. Alas, again, I found out that henna gets DARKER OVER TIME... before it fades. Yes, now it is darker than it was two days ago. :(
How am I to go through corrections with the kids without writing on the whiteboard and thus not exposing the henna?
How am I to meet my Art students later?!
Of course, the one logical way out is to put on gloves.
Can you imagine me like the late Michael Jackson in the class?!

2. To anyone who has put me on a pedestal before, well, this is a good reminder to my dear friends that baizah is as fallible as everybody else. Please forgive my 'human-ness'.

I am shy of the henna and shyer of the glove.

Maybe I will head to Angsana or Geylang and get myself a pair of gloves.
Or I can let the the matter rest so that everytime I see this right hand, I am humbly reminded of the folly of being rash.

No comments:

Post a Comment